JLT provides authors with two publication options following the hybrid open access publication model:
- Open-access publishing: Here, authors pay one-time publication charges, which make their paper accessible free-of-charge to anybody with an Internet connection (such as used by OSA's OpticsExpress or the IEEE Photonics Journal).
Open access charges are as follows:
- $1,487.50 per article up to 7 pages (includes 15% discount for IEEE Sponsoring Society Members)
- $1662.50 per article up to 7 pages (5% discount for IEEE Members)
- $1,750 per article up to 7 pages (undiscounted base rate)
- Overlength page charges: $260.00 per page in excess of 7 pages
- Traditional subscriber-based publishing: Here, authors pay voluntary page charges of $110.00 per page up to 7 pages. A mandatory fee of $260.00 applies to every page in excess of 7 pages. IEEE and OSA make the papers available through individual or library-based subscription services through IEEEXplore and OpticsInfobase.
Note that due to its denser typesetting, one JLT page is equivalent, on average, to about 1.6 pages in other open-access journals such as the IEEE Photonics Journal or OSA’s Optics Express